Reflecting Hope Google Analytics

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Are Libraries Doomed?

So I had a chance to participate in a focus group for the first time tonight. It was put on at the Business School and the topic was the library. It was really cool being part of a group of seven people from different walks of life and various areas of town, getting together to talk about a topic. It was an invigorating sense of community. We covered a lot of ground and hit on such ideas as:
  • the physical space of the library,
  • should the library include a coffee bar,
  • how can they get more computers,
  • what skills will a librarian need in the future,
  • should they sell video games,
  • what will the library look like in five or ten years, and
  • will e-books make libraries obsolete.
That last one really got my attention. I have certainly spent some time thinking about whether or not books will disappear as we move to digital content. It has been a personal debate because I see more and more people like my mother-in-law and my brother get kindles. Personally, I like the feel of books and the ability to have and to hold it. Not to mention that I don't complete trust digital content to always be there. Nothing that I have seen digitally yet gets at that feeling that comes from holding and reading a book. I recognize though that my appreciation for books came when I was younger and did so much reading. I don't know that the kids of today are getting that same set of interactions and they have more trust in digital content than I do.

What do you think? Do you think libraries are doomed to go the way of the milk man?

No comments:

Post a Comment