Reflecting Hope Google Analytics

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tenure Kills Motivation

Think about it.  Would you work as hard if you knew that getting fired was very difficult for your boss to do because it cost a lot of money and involved him or her filling out a lot of paperwork?  I know my wife would still work hard because she is that kind of person, but I also know that there are plenty of people who would take advantage of those circumstances. 

Tenure in K-12 public education offers that kind of working environment.

The difficult thing about tenure is that it creates a situation where some people don't but forth their very best effort and it also makes it difficult to get rid of those very same people.  A teacher who is not giving 110 percent of what they have to give to their students is doing their students and their community a disservice.  Tenure allows some people to not be as motivated and thus not help students succeed as much as they could be.

I am glad that I work in a school division where I don't see a lot of this lack of motivation.  I do see some of it though and it breaks my heart. 

What do you think?  Does this argument make sense?  Have you experienced a teacher who was going through the motions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment