Reflecting Hope Google Analytics

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Session 4 Creativity part 2

This post is going to be specific to e-learning 2.0 - how Web technologies are shaping education an article written by Steve O'Hear. When I read through this article the first time, I got excited about all the different ways that technology can create really awesome learning environments. Then I thought about the schools I work in and wonder how to translate these ideas into things that these teachers will use. I see a big disconnect between technology and the classroom. My job is to bridge that divide, but I am still struggling on how to do that.



The first step, which is outside of my control, is getting the resources into the hands of teachers. So far my division has been doing a pretty good job of getting tools for teachers. The second step is getting teachers comfortable using the tools. I see blogging as a good first step here. Particularly with the Elementary students, a multi-authored blog around some of their reading in language arts would be a good digital step for teachers and students. I was really impressed with the one teacher who managed to get the author to join the learning environment. That is where I see real power in these tools. The third step, is to truly incorporate these tools. I was really impressed with the flickr annotation tool. That has great applicability in the classroom. Also, the ability to create podcasts of information which can then be shared with others increases the learning opportunities even further.



Refelecting more on the barriers to these projects, I really see a need to encourage teamwork and cooperation in the classroom. These are the kinds of projects that need teachers working together. Yet all to often I still see teachers on their own, shutting the door to their classroom when they teach. Administrators need to find a way to encourage more teamwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment