Reflecting Hope Google Analytics

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Teacher Job Satisfaction Drops 15 points over the Last 2 years.

I read on Joanne Jacobs Blog yesterday and the New York Times this morning about the MetLife Foundation Survey.  The result that got the headline and the one I find most interesting is that teacher job satisfaction has dropped 15 points in the last two years.  59% in 2009 to 44% when they surveyed at the end of 2011.

I find this alarming because one of teachings primary motivators is its rewarding nature.   I don't want my child taught by a teacher who does not like their job.  I am also concerned from a fiscal taxpayer standpoint. I believe this rewarding motivation for teachers helps to keep salaries lower than they might otherwise be.   I would say that might fall under the vow of poverty subsidy idea I highlighted last summer.          

I remember hearing in one of my masters classes that the November through February time frame is typically the point in the year when teachers are most negative in overall outlook so I am curious if that is impacting these results at all.

I am also curious how these results are impacted by the very public process of constructing school budgets.  I have certainly witnessed comments from some teachers in our area's newspaper who are frustrated with the way the budgeting process creates so much uncertainty for teachers.  Yet unlike private institutions who can keep their budgeting processes a secret until decisions have been made, public school boards cannot.  Thus they are forced to project possible cuts even if they don't end up materializing.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment